Lily speaks and understands Spanish. Really well. She's been remarkably verbal since she was a tiny baby and now she can totally communicate in both Spanish and English, and it's amazing. Lately, she's been stringing many words together, saying complete phrases in another language, and my heart swells with pride each time I hear her.
I am thrilled about her progress and try my best to speak Spanish to her at home to reinforce it. But honestly, I think she'll surpass me soon. She's that good. Lily has Hispanic roots on both my side and her dad's side, and I would love for her to continue to explore that.
A few of Lily's favorite palabras en Espanol:
- damelo! (give it to me)
- mira! (look!) she pronounces this one "mee-ah!" and then usually proceeds to show off something she's particularly proud of, like putting her own shoe on her pata.
- ven (come) she pronounces this one "ben" and it usually goes something like, "Mami! Ben!"
- me pego (it hit me) she's been especially keen on this one lately. if she falls, the floor "me pego." if hudson accidentally whacks her with his tail, "husson me pego."
- no quiero (i don't want) she pronounces this one, "no keh-whe". and she always seems to know exactly what she does and doesn't want.
- tomate (tomato) one of her favorite snacks.
- mio! (mine!) she uses this one quite frequently.
- mano (hand)
- moco (booger) she especially loves to yell this after picking one from her nose and generously handing it to mama to dispose of.
- lechita (milk) "chita" is her special name for the boob.
- arroz, carnita y pollito (rice, meat and chicken) her faves!
- pan (bread) because who doesn't like bread?
The list goes on and on and honestly, it gets longer each day. Are any other languages spoken in your home?